This text is sponsored by Eastman.
We live in a decade of change, and the planet may have 10 billion folks on it within the blink of an eye fixed. Addressing the triple problem of mitigating local weather change, mainstreaming circularity and caring for society is the important thing to enhancing high quality of life for each individual, now and within the years to come back.
As a supplies know-how chief, Eastman has the accountability and alternative to drive affect by innovation. The corporate is already doing this by utilizing molecular recycling applied sciences to revolutionize supplies and allow high-performance round merchandise, proper now.
However enabling round merchandise is only one piece of the story. Successfully speaking the advantages of round and sustainable merchandise is crucial to encouraging shopper buy and demand for these merchandise, which, after all, fuels the round financial system.
For a number of years, Eastman has invested in international shopper research to higher perceive learn how to place sustainability to customers throughout key industries reminiscent of vogue, housewares, electronics, and constructing and development. A database of greater than 30,000 customers has allowed Eastman to develop cross-industry insights to assist model companions discuss sustainability.
The 2 largest takeaways? High quality is king and supplies matter.
It’s no shock that high quality ranks as one of the crucial essential buy elements for customers. A product can have one of the best of one of the best sustainability claims, but when the standard or efficiency suffers, that’s a tradeoff that customers aren’t keen to make.
When probed about what makes a product sustainable, supplies matter. Supplies outline sustainability throughout product classes for customers around the globe. This makes materials choice the cornerstone of any model’s sustainability technique.
So now that we all know that high quality is king and supplies matter, what do you have to have in mind when speaking to customers about sustainable merchandise?
- Turn out to be acquainted with the authorized pointers: Shopper safety businesses around the globe, such because the Federal Commerce Fee (FTC), define what corporations can and can’t say in advertising and marketing communications. Within the U.S., the FTC Green Guides are a fantastic place to get began.
- Be particular; keep away from obscure messages: This can be a key takeaway from the FTC Inexperienced Guides. Not solely can unspecific, obscure messages confuse and mislead customers, they will put your organization in danger for regulatory or authorized motion.
- Make it straightforward for customers to grasp: For decrease threat purchases, customers could give however a couple of moments consideration when evaluating merchandise on the shelf or for on-line purchases. Be sure that your product packaging and on-line description particulars are clear, straightforward for customers to grasp, and lead with high quality and supplies.
- Solely make claims which you can substantiate: Belief is vital for gaining shopper loyalty. At all times be truthful and clear in your messaging and you should definitely ask your materials suppliers what claims can or can’t be made about your product.
- Make sure you reinforce high quality and efficiency: The numerous points of sustainability are continuously evolving, which could be overwhelming. Speaking extra about your sustainable materials choices can assist make sustainability extra tangible for purchasers and assist carry them alongside in your sustainability journey.
- Get assist from the consultants: Successfully telling the sustainable story about your product to customers could be difficult. Get assist early out of your authorized or regulatory consultants to make certain your messaging meets any necessities for the markets the place your merchandise are bought.
Whereas extremely essential, the factors above are desk stakes with regards to advertising and marketing sustainable merchandise. Eastman’s analysis exhibits manufacturers seeking to place themselves as sustainable leaders or seeking to achieve loyalty ought to message their sustainable merchandise in a manner that assures customers that they won’t be making any high quality or efficiency trade-offs.
To be taught extra about Eastman’s analysis, obtain “Sustainable Stories: Three tips for talking to consumers about sustainable materials.“