Magnesium is a crucial mineral that performs a wide range of features within the physique. Is magnesium additionally useful within the prevention or therapy of migraines?
What does magnesium do?
Magnesium is a vital mineral discovered in lots of meals, some dietary supplements, and some medicines. It catalyzes over 300 totally different biochemical reactions within the physique; these reactions contribute to creating proteins, muscle and nerve perform, regulating blood sugar and stress, and extra.1
Because it contributes to so many alternative features, it is very important get sufficient magnesium within the eating regimen. The Nationwide Institutes of Well being (NIH) recommends that grownup women and men get 420 and 320 milligrams of magnesium every day, respectively.1 Some good dietary sources of magnesium embody inexperienced leafy greens, complete grains, nuts, seeds, and legumes.1
Magnesium deficiency could be related to a wide range of adversarial results, and two fascinating results embody the discharge of sure neurotransmitters and platelet hyperaggregation, that are related to the event of migraines.1,2
Is magnesium good for migraines?
There may be some hypothesis that getting sufficient and even extra magnesium could assist scale back the danger and severity of migraine complications. Quite a lot of analysis has been achieved on this subject, and the analysis appears largely inconclusive as as to if magnesium is sweet for migraines.
On one hand, some sources counsel that those that undergo from migraines, on common, could have decrease baseline magnesium ranges than those that don’t.1,3 One older research of migraine sufferers discovered that they’d barely decrease ranges of magnesium throughout a migraine than on common.3,4 Nevertheless, magnesium standing is relatively troublesome to detect given the shortage of correct, standardized testing strategies for magnesium ranges, and a few contributors confirmed considerably totally different magnesium ranges between checks.5
Basically, the outcomes of those research have been pretty inconsistent, and extra analysis is required to find out whether or not there’s an affiliation on a inhabitants stage.
The pathogenesis of migraines shouldn’t be totally understood, and the effectiveness of various therapies can range considerably between people.6 Many therapy plans for migraine embody prescription medicines, which may carry a small threat of unwanted effects for some sufferers. Some folks could favor non-pharmaceutical therapies for a wide range of causes, and magnesium could seem extra interesting to those people as it’s a vital mineral quite than a prescription medicine.
Nevertheless, it is very important word that the quantity of supplemental magnesium really useful for migraine prevention typically exceeds the Tolerable Higher Consumption for supplemental magnesium.1 Though extra magnesium is normally eradicated by the kidneys in wholesome people, recurrently consuming extra supplemental magnesium could end in disagreeable unwanted effects reminiscent of diarrhea, nausea, and belly cramping.1 In consequence, this could solely be achieved beneath the advice and supervision of a health care provider or certified medical skilled.
Finally, the present analysis appears largely inconclusive, and extra analysis is required to find out whether or not magnesium is sweet for stopping or treating migraines. Extra analysis can also be wanted to analyze the pathogenesis of migraines in addition to enhance out there therapies.
This text shouldn’t be medical recommendation, and it’s not meant to diagnose, advocate, or prescribe something for any situation. Seek the advice of your physician or certified medical skilled to your distinctive well being wants.
- Nationwide Institutes of Well being Workplace of Dietary Dietary supplements (2021, August 11). Magnesium – Truth sheet for well being professionals. Nationwide Institutes of Well being. Accessed 2022, February 9, from https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Magnesium-HealthProfessional/#h18
- Solar-Edelstein, C., Mauskop, A. (2009). Position of magnesium within the pathogenesis and therapy of migraine. Skilled Rev Neurother 9:369-79. Doi: 10.1586/14737220.127.116.119
- Yabion, L.A., Mauskop, A. (2011). Magnesium in headache. Magnesium in the Central Nervous System [Internet]. College of Adelaide Press. Accessed 2022, February 13, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK507271/
- Gallai, V., Sarchielli, P., Coata, G. (1992, March 3). Serum and salivary magnesium ranges in migraine. Leads to a bunch of juvenile sufferers. Headache 32(3): 132-135. Doi: 10.1111/j.1526-4610.1992.hed3203132.x.
- Workinger, J.L., Doyle, R.P., Bortz, J. (2018 September). Challenges within the Prognosis of Magnesium Standing. Vitamins 10(0: 1202. Doi: 10.3390/nu10091202
- Digre, Okay.B. (2018, December 10). The American Headache Society Place Assertion on Integrating New Migraine Remedies into Scientific Follow. American Headache Society; AHS Consensus Assertion. Accessed 2022, February 13, from https://headachejournal.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/head.13456
Picture by aixklusiv from Pixabay