Opposite to standard perception, most canines are dog-selective or dog-tolerant and not dog-social. And that’s OK! Canines shouldn’t be anticipated to love each canine they meet: Most people don’t like each human, both. Properly-planned intros preserve everybody protected and completely happy.
All the time keep away from impromptu on-leash greetings, particularly permitting canines to make a beeline for one another. This may be scary for a lot of canines, they usually can develop into overwhelmed shortly and develop into defensively aggressive, particularly when unable to flee the confines of the leash
Earlier than you introduce two canines
If you happen to’re coping with an aggressive canine maintain off on intros till you will get an skilled reward-based coach on board. Additionally, some canines are tremendous excitable and soar on each canine they meet; Sadly, this may be troublesome, too, if the opposite canine is calmer or doesn’t respect the rudeness. Once more, search skilled assist for over-reactivity earlier than making an attempt intros.
- Brush up on dog body language.
- Select a impartial, safely enclosed location the place canines can work together off leash.
- Clear the world of toys or different gadgets that will trigger guarding points.
- Hold treats helpful however out of sight.
- Reduce/eradicate distractions.
- When intros contain puppies or senior canines use further warning to stop accidents from bigger or extra exuberant canines.
- No “gang greetings!” Canines ought to meet one another one-on-one to stop bullying and/or overwhelming the canines and likewise to permit the handlers to pay shut consideration to the canines’ physique language always.
Observe these steps to introduce canines to a different canine:
- Leash each canines at first and preserve a protected distance, i.e., on reverse ends of the area. No retractable leashes. They are often harmful in sure conditions and stop correct dealing with.
- Rigorously gauge physique language as you slowly shut the hole. Solely proceed if each canines are displaying they’re on board.
- Look ahead to stress indicators and act shortly earlier than issues escalate. Use treats to divert consideration and lure canines away from each other. Strive once more if canines are calm.
- If all is properly, drop the leashes, however preserve them on a bit in case you’ll want to act shortly.
- Finish interplay instantly if vital.
Don’t drive it! In the event that they’re not quick mates it’s OK. Possibly it’s not meant to be. All the time be your canine’s advocate, and if issues aren’t going properly enable him the selection to choose out. First impressions go a great distance, so begin off on the best paw to stop points.