An AED is used to evaluate an individual’s coronary heart rhythm throughout a medical emergency. After studying the rhythm, it can administer an electrical shock, if wanted, to assist restore a standard coronary heart rhythm throughout sudden cardiac arrest.
If a co-worker has misplaced consciousness, the Mayo Clinic says to comply with these steps:
- Verify to see if the particular person is respiration and really feel for a pulse.
- In the event you don’t really feel a pulse and the particular person isn’t respiration, name 911 when you’re alone with the sufferer, and start CPR. If somebody is close by, ask them to name for assist, and if attainable, ask one other co-worker to convey the AED to you.
- Activate the AED when it will get to you. The system will give you step-by-step directions, together with how one can put the electrode pads on the sufferer’s chest.
- As soon as the pads are positioned, the AED will mechanically measure the sufferer’s coronary heart rhythm and decide if a shock is required. If a shock is important, the AED will direct you to face again and push a button to ship the shock.
- After the shock is delivered, the AED will information you to proceed CPR if wanted.