- Blowouts on pure hair are supposed to create a easy, modern texture.
- The method sometimes features a hair brush and the warmth from a blow dryer.
- We’re breaking down how to do a blowout on pure hair safely and preserve the look, whether or not you go to a salon or DIY the modern type at residence.
When you’ve got natural hair, there are many causes you may go for a blowout: it provides you a easy type for longer durations of time, it could actually create a modern canvas for different hairstyles, and it requires little fuss. Nonetheless, as a result of manipulating the hair has the potential to break curls, coils, or kinkier textures (regardless of your exact hair type), there are some things to remember beforehand.
First, the aim of a blowout on pure hair is to assist “loosen” or stretch out the curls to create a smoother texture. This enables for several types of hairstyles — assume ponytails, updos, or half-up types — in addition to makes room for braids or hair accessories. Whether or not you do the blowout at home or go to a professional on the salon, it has the power to remodel your look. That stated, it may be a time-consuming course of in case you wind up within the fallacious arms (and that may embody your personal).
So we requested hairstylists and natural-hair consultants Leigh Hardges and Laura Jones for suggestions to remember earlier than going to the salon, the correct styling strategies that reduce harm, and merchandise to make use of in your pure hair each step of the way in which.
Getting a Pure-Hair Blowout on the Salon
When you’ve got an upcoming occasion, need to train some self-care, or if are in a rush, then going to the salon to get a blowout is your greatest wager. Hairstylists give a cultured look in a shorter period of time — they’ll take wherever from 45 minutes to an hour or two relying on the situation and density of your hair — as a result of they’re aware of the method and do blowouts daily.
Nonetheless, earlier than you go, there are some things to remember. You need to first ensure you are researching the most effective hairstylist with information and expertise working with pure hair to make sure you do not expertise any harm. (A great way to take action is to scout them on Instagram or name the salon on to ask.) Then, one factor you are able to do earlier than your appointment is prep the hair by detangling. In keeping with Hardges, even a primary stage of detangling with a hairbrush will make it simpler for the hairstylist to part and work by way of.
As soon as on the salon, Hardges advises to speak to the hairstylist about what merchandise they’re utilizing to forestall excessive damage. “It is essential to know defend the hair from warmth and mechanical harm,” Hardges says. “You need to make it possible for the hairstylist is utilizing the best instruments with various warmth features and merchandise with the correct quantity of conditioning primarily based in your hair sort. When you’ve got wavy hair texture, use merchandise which might be lighter or water primarily based. As you progress throughout the dimensions of hair varieties and in case you have curlier hair that’s extra viscous, use merchandise which might be oil or cream primarily based that may give the hair some slip. Basically, hair that’s finer would require merchandise to offer it ‘grip,’ whereas hair that’s thicker and curlier would require merchandise to offer it ‘slip’ and make it simpler to later type.”
Jones echoes this sentiment and recommends warmth protectants just like the Design Essentials Agave ($13), which is a light-weight, conditioning blow-dry lotion that primes the hair for blow-drying time, and the lavender protectant serum ($9), which seals moisture within the hair cuticles. The aim with any blowout on pure hair — whether or not at residence or in a salon — is to reduce the quantity of warmth harm.
How you can Safely Do a Blowout on Pure Hair at House
The important thing to a professional-looking blowout at house is having two issues: endurance and the best instruments for the job. Once more, you may need to begin by detangling. You may as well apply a leave-in cream like a detangler that smooths the cuticle and removes snarls from thick, curly, or textured hair.
Here is your step-by-step information to doing a blowout on pure hair at residence.
- Step 1: Comb your hair earlier than you start blow-drying so it does not get caught in between the enamel of the dryer’s attachments or brushes. When you’ve got curly hair, brush or comb it out whereas moist. Hardges recommends a wide-tooth comb like this Pattern Beauty Wide Tooth Comb ($15) or the Denman 7 Brush ($27). No matter your hair sort, we just like the Aveda Wooden Paddle Brush ($30) for straightforward detangling that reduces stress to the hair and scalp throughout blow-drying and styling.
- Step 2: Use a product that may soften your curls and make the comb simpler to maneuver by way of, just like the Kinky-Curly Knot Today Leave In Detangler ($13).
- Step 3: After you detangle, part the hair in 4 to 6 one-inch sections with sectioning clips. Apply product as you slowly work by way of every respective part. Then add a moisturizing warmth protectant just like the Ouidad Climate Control Detangling Spray ($24). Hardge recommends being cautious to not overuse merchandise, as it’ll trigger a layer of movie to type in your head.
- Step 4: After getting sectioned and utilized warmth protectant, it is time to begin blow-drying. One essential tip is to ensure you’re utilizing a salon-quality blow dryer that is highly effective sufficient to stretch your curls out as a lot as doable with out damaging your hair within the course of. When you’re out there for a brand new one, attempt the T3 Cura Professional Hair Dryer ($180, initially $235). Hardges additionally recommends the Speedy Blo Hair Dryer by Trademark ($69), which is her private favourite for its three warmth seatings, two velocity settings, and cool-shot button that locks in a modern type and maintains silky hair. “It’s tremendous light-weight, so your arms will not tire when doing this at residence,” she provides.
- Step 5: Begin with the underside sections, and transfer from the tip to the foundation (or from the underside to the highest). Be sure to’re not leaving the dryer in the identical place for too lengthy if you’re utilizing it, so you do not doubtlessly burn your scalp or dry out your hair.
- Step 6: Add a dime-size quantity of styling cream or oil to your hair — like coconut oil — when it is midway dry to assist seal in shine. Professional tip: the scalp has “newer” hair that is not mechanically broken, so you may skip making use of product instantly at your roots as a result of it does not want it.
- Step 7: Hardges recommends ending the blowout by utilizing the cool-air setting on the dryer to make sure that your scalp is totally dry. Additionally, cooling the hair can seal the cuticle and impart a shine.
How you can Keep a Blowout on Pure Hair
So, you’ve got spent all that cash on the salon or all that point at residence perfecting your blowout. How do you retain it wanting shiny and stylish for an prolonged time? On common, Hardges says a blowout can final for as much as 10 days relying in your at-home hair-care routine.
“Sustaining a blowout with pure hair is fairly easy,” Jones says. “You’ll be able to pin-curl the hair by rolling up sections and putting a pin to safe them or wrapping the hair at evening and utilizing a silk or satin bonnet or scarves to guard the type. Protecting the hair with a bathe cap when showering or bathing is a should to forestall the hair from reverting again to its pure texture.”
It is often beneficial to steer clear of excessive humidity, because the extreme warmth will flatten the hair. Nevertheless, in case you reside in a moist local weather, Hardges recommends utilizing the Aveda Perfect Blow-Dry Spray ($37), which is heat-activated and affords safety in opposition to moisture, even in excessive humidity. The Aveda Brilliant Anti-humectant Pomade ($28) additionally serves as a barrier between humidity and the hair.
Moreover, moisturize the ends of your hair every day utilizing a hair oil to maintain flyaways at bay. If you are going to type your hair post-blowout, keep away from utilizing too many warmth instruments greater than as soon as per week to take care of the integrity of your hair.
Maintain scrolling for inspiration images in your greatest blowout on pure hair.